National Mission for Manuscripts (NMM)
A comprehensive project for preservation of manuscripts for the entire country was launched by the Government of India, Department of Culture in 2003. Under the National Mission for Manuscripts project a number of Manuscripts Conservation Centres were established in different parts of the country. The ICI, Lucknow was also made a Manuscript Conservation Centre under the project for the U.P. region, and an M.O.U. was signed in September 2003, between the authorities of ICCI, Lucknow and the Department of Culture, G.O.I.
Through this Centre, damaged handwritten ancient granthas containing Vedic culture are surveyed and conserved to keep them alive. ICI, Lucknow is successfully implementing this important project by carrying out preventive conservation of manuscripts collections at site and also documentation at a number of institutions, and with private collectors in U.P. and neighboring States. It trains owners/ custodians of manuscript collections in preventive conservation, proper upkeep of manuscripts and minor curative conservation techniques. To fulfill the objectives of National Mission for Manuscripts, the development of Manuscript Conservation Centre, Lucknow is as follows:-
• Survey of ancient and damaged handwritten manuscripts collection.
• Survey of libraries, granthagars and private collectors.
• Organization of debates and awareness programs on manuscripts in Uttar Pradesh.
• Organization of workshops on curative and preventive conservation.
• Curative conservation of highly damaged manuscripts at the Centre.
It has conserved various manuscripts belonging to the following Institutes:
• Parshvanath Vidya Peeth and Tulsi Shodh Sansthan, Chitrakoot.
• Tagore Library, Lucknow University, Lucknow.
• Sanskrit Sansthan, New Hyderabad, Lucknow.
• Shri Chandra Prabhu Digambar Jain Society Bada Jain Mandir, Barabanki.
• Hindu Mathematics Department, Lucknow University, Lucknow.
• Radha Krishna Pustakalaya, Rawatput, Post Sikandar Pur Karna.
• Rashtriya Sanskrit Sansthan, Lucknow.
• Amiruddaula Public Library, Lucknow.
• Arya Vidya Gurukulam, Lucknow.
• Rajkiya Jila Pustakalaya, Unnao.
• Rajkiya Jila Pustakalaya, Jhansi.
• Akhil Bhartiya Sanskrit Parishad, Lucknow.
• Valmiki Shodh Sansthan, Ayodhya, Faizabad.
• District Library, Lucknow.
• Jnana Pravah Centre for Cultural Studies and Research, Varanasi.
• Sri Maha Saraswati Vidyapeeth, Yamuna Tarhati, Etawah.
• Sri Neminath Digambar Jain Mandir, Chowk, Lucknow.
• Sri Digambar Jain Panchayati Bara Mandir, Kanpur.
• Conversant District Library, Unnao.
• Govt. District Library, Jhansi.
• Kanpur Museum, Kanpur.
• Sri Mahavir Digambar Jain Mandir, Ashiana, Lucknow.
• Mazhar Memorial Urdu Library Bahariyabad, Hazipur.
• IBN Sina Academy of Medieval Medicine & Science Trust, Aligarh.
• Parshva Nath Vidyapeeth, Varanasi.
• Neminath Digambar Jain Mahasabha, Aishbagh, Lucknow.
• Sri Digambar Jain Khandelwal Panchayati Bada Mandir, Gwalior.
• Hindi Sahitya Pustakalaya, Maurawan.
• Dr.Surya Prasad Dixit, Lucknow.
• Mr.Kamran Ahmad, Lucknow.
• Mr.Afzal Mohammad Farooqui, Unnao.
• Mr.Ashok Jain, Kanpur.
• Dr.Arvind Chaturvedi, Lucknow.
In Uttar Pradesh, there are still a large number of manuscripts for conservation that are effected by environmental factors, improper storage, insect attack, light and lack of awareness in the libraries, temples, museums and private collection.
To save the priceless heritage of manuscripts, it is very essential to conserve them and provide training to all the personnel so that they are saved from getting damaged.
INTACH Manuscript Conservation Centre
B-42, Nirala Nagar, Lucknow-226020
Tel: 0522-2787159; 2789948; 4021617. Fax: 2787159.
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org