Research & Training
Research is a wide range of disciplines and the interaction among them achieves a fuller understanding of complex individual artifacts like identification of fiber in paper, canvas or textile, identification of various pigment and inks etc along with specialized equipments. Projects examine the preservation-related properties of materials and the processes and parameters of their deterioration, extract historical information from the technical record of artifacts, and develop and improve conservation treatment technology.
• Natural pigments of paper and oil paintings by micro chemical analysis technique and imaging technique.
• Paper fiber using staining technique.
• Analysis of textile fiber using staining and flame test method.
• Strength of Lime plaster using Digital compression testing machine
• Composition of lime Plaster by wet chemical method
• Strength of plaster at site using digital rebound hammer.
• Stratigraphic cross sectional analysis of lime plaster and oil paintings using microscope and mount.
• Analysis of rusts in iron, patina of brass or copper metal.
ICI Lucknow has carried on various ranges of professional and in-house workshops, training program supervised by experienced renowned conservators, technicians who are skilled arts practitioners themselves.
ICI, Lucknow organizes training programs, workshops, seminars and awareness campaigns from time to time. It has organized a large number of training programs, workshops, seminars and awareness campaigns at various places since 1987 till now. A large number of training programs, workshops and awareness campaigns were organized at various places in India and abroad. Till now, it has organized 150 preventive Conservation Workshops, 50 Curative Trainings and 15 International workshops as detailed below.
• Workshops on Preventive Conservation held at Lucknow, Jabalpur, Madras, Bangalore, Pune, Tiruchirapalli, Guwahati, Calcutta, Chandigarh, Mumbai, Manipur, Rampur, Amritsar, Jaipur, Dwarika, Varanasi, Patna, Azamgarh, Allahabad, Kanpur, Gorakhpur, Aligarh.
• Training in Curative Conservation held at Lucknow and Colombo, Srilanka.
• International Training Programmes held at Colombo, Srilanka and Jakarta, Indonesia.
• Awareness Campaigns held at Lucknow, Gangtok, Jaipur, Dwarika, Chandigarh, Jhansi.
The objective of the workshop, training programme and awareness campaign is to spread knowledge about various aspects of preventive as well as curative conservation of materials which are neglected for care, proper display, storage, materials and environmental factors. The programme includes theoretical as well as practical sessions conducted by both national and international experts in the field. The participants of the programme include conservation professionals, students and research scholars. The programme is organized on various aspect of conservation including documentation methods both preliminary and scientific techniques of examination and conservation materials and methods.